Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing, but you mean Clark

I like Wednesdays. I don't have anything to do until my Experimental Methods discussion at 4:15, so I am able to sleep in a bit and then transition into the day doing something semi-peaceful, like reading. Though, this only holds true if my lovely roommate chooses to be not-too-noisy. He wasn't awful this morning (yes, Clark allows for co-ed rooming after freshman year, which has worked well for me) so I was able to read a bit of a book I borrowed from one of my friends (an Environmental and Conservation Biology major and an English minor); a ghost story, entitled The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.

So far it's been an intriguing tale, though not one that I am able to follow easily (probably because it uses the "putting a story into a story" narration technique). I feel as though it's something I just need to read, though, if only because as a general rule I really enjoy horror. "No, no - there are depths, depths! The more I go over it, the more I see in it, and the more I see in it, the more I fear. I don't know what I don't see - what I don't fear!" - Henry James. 

Alrighty, now, moving on to things I understand more than books written pre-1900. 

On Thursdays at 6pm I have a radio show on ROCU with two friends, so I've spent a bit of my afternoon thus far finalizing our playlist for tomorrow. Our theme for this week is "places", so we'll be playing some Beach Boys ("Kokomo"), Elliott Smith ("Baby Britain"), Supertramp ("Breakfast in America") The Shins ("Australia"), and more. I really enjoy having a radio show! I'm fairly certain that our audience is made up mainly of the family members we can coerce to listen, but it's fun nonetheless. 

Soon I will be conducting a psychology experiment of sorts; there is a long-term project in place for Experimental Methods in which students are divided into groups and then work through the methodology of conducting a study and writing a report directly following. Soon I will begin data collection, and I feel somewhat excited to approach strangers (well, Clarkie strangers) and have them participate. I will not write more about the logistics of the experiment, so as not to muddle my results. Hopefully something especially humorous will occur while I'm data-collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment